We have experience and expertise in support and printing with Makerbot printers and therefore took it upon ourselves to improve the nozzle system making multi-material printing with the Replicator 2X a reality. The MM2X kit can be easily installed in less than 30 minutes1 and is compatible with MakerBot MakerWare default profiles.
- Multi-material extrusion (PLA, ABS and other materials2)
- Simple installation – can be assembled by anyone in under 30 minutes
- No software settings modifications – Compatible with MakerBot MakerWare default profiles
- MM2X nozzles can be easily swapped within a few minutes
- No definitive changes to the printer – Can be easily restored back to the original extruder
- An internal teflon guide tube allows smooth (non-stick) movement of the filament
- Active cooling – A radial fan and air duct cool the filament to guarantee high quality PLA prints
The MM2X design uses a PEEK insulator instead of metal parts between the aluminum bar mount and the nozzle which in turn prevents the heat transfer that causes issues with PLA printing. We also added an internal teflon guide to ensure smooth movement of the filament.
This design solves the issues due to the heat generated in the nozzle which is transferred up to the aluminium bar mount through the original metal guide tube causing the PLA to melt before it reaches the heater block. This effect is most pronounced when performing “retractions” (suction of filament between extrusions) preventing the filament from properly flowing inside the nozzle.
Cooling Duct Design
The MM2X kit also includes a radial fan and duct to cool the filament immediately after extrusion. This greatly improves the surface quality of PLA prints.